Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Jun 2002 13:41:33 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Canadian Shipping Whining--- [adr]

If you import parts, it is possible to bypass the brokers if YOU pick up the item at its point of arrival in the country and take it through Customs yourself.

I did this with my Porsche G50 trans. It was a hassle, but it would have bypassed the hassles of brokarege (in fact I HAD to do it myself, as there was no broker involved; it came in in a container, with no broker). It was SUPPOSED to be delivered straight to Dunedin (right in the south of the South Island), but instead ended up in a holding firm's warehouse in Auckland, near the other end of the country. I had additional hassles here, as there was no communication between authorities, but finally I managed to get it sent down here and run it through Customs procedures at this end.

Best by far to use normal mail where possible, as the mail folk I think cannot be bothered with mucking around on behalf of Customs. I have never been charged duty or GST (12.5% Goods & Services Tax) on mailed goods such as my South African grills (which came in surface mail).