Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Jun 2002 08:40:26 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help with starting problem.
Comments: To: Ronald D Maxseiner <RONMAXSEINER@PRODIGY.NET>

Are you sure your timing is correct? Try disconnecting the idle stabilizer and double-check. How does it run with it by-passed? The stabilizer could be shot. They do tend to run rich on cold starts. Could be valve-related. A collapsed lifter could prevent the exhaust valve from opening. Any lifter noise? Check out Boston Bob's lifter adjustment technique. http://www.bostonengine.com/articles.html Put a gauge on the test port to check the fuel pressure. There is a metal connector that has a small screw you remove to attach a piece of fuel line and a gauge. (It is near the distributor on your '85.) Should have around 28 psig at idle and 32-36 with the vacuum line removed from the fuel pressure regulator. Shut off the engine and see if it holds pressure. It should not drop for quite a while. If it drops immediately, you may have a leaking injector or injectors. Jay

Ronald D Maxseiner <RONMAXSEINER@PRODIGY.NET>@gerry.vanagon.com> on 06/13/2002 11:12:47 PM

Please respond to Ronald D Maxseiner <RONMAXSEINER@PRODIGY.NET>