Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Jun 2002 16:35:58 -0700
From:         dave bowers <dave@SPARKPLUG.COM>
Subject:      AC & starter question

Hi Folks,

My 1986 Westy has some new behaviors in light of all the hot weather Portland has seen this week.

I've been using my AC a lot, and now yesterday and today I found when I go to start my van with the AC on it pauses when I crank it.

There is a distinct weeeer, than a long pause ... and then it tries to start. Twice ... the starter managed to turn over enough to start with the AC on ... tho, once it just sat there like the battery was dead (Both are brand new).

When I simply turn my AC off she starts just fine. I've noticed some acceleration lugging at lights, when I have my AC on and press the gas pedal too (usually in the morning when I first start her). She seems to be struggling to a certain point and usually gets going. Once I thought she was going to stall as I started to go through a light. I turned the AC off, threw it in to neutral and pressed the gas a bit. Got the revs up and scooted away. All new belts, she normally idles fine too.

Anyhow, I am more curious about the problem about having the AC on and not being able to crank/turn over enough to start. 2 in 3 times she will, tho there is that one time there seems to be no power (belts? alternator? battery? electrical? starter?). Somehow, there seems to be a power problem.

Would anyone have any ideas what I should have looked at to diagnose this problem? It's not a big deal for me to just turn my AC off before I start, tho I often leave it on when I pull in somewhere and forget about it when I leave my car.

Any information you can share would be a great help. Feel free to email me directly if you like.

Thanks!

dave bowers Portland, Oregon 1986 Westy "G2"