Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:29:49 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Radio Wiring circuit draining battery???
Comments: To: Andrew.Yarnell@KIMLEY-HORN.COM

I would check the current drain with just the radio disconnected to make sure it is not something else on that circuit. Cigarette lighter may also be on that circuit (always hot). Are you sure one of the interior lights isn't shorted?

Jay

Andy Yarnell <Andrew.Yarnell@KIMLEY-HORN.COM>@gerry.vanagon.com> on 06/17/2002 02:15:20 PM

Please respond to Andrew.Yarnell@KIMLEY-HORN.COM

To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM cc: Subject: Radio Wiring circuit draining battery???

Attention wiring Gurus:

I have searched the archives extensively, and did not see a similar problem discussed in the past, so...

When I bought my 1987 Wolfy GL, the PO disclosed this problem: the radio drains the battery, so he just disconnected the hot wire from the radio (why not the ground?) Oh well, I knew the time would come to fix this, but I am not sure what exactly is going on. I have the diagnosis sheet the PO got from his mechanic. Alternator is working fine, but they figured out the radio circuit is the culprit by removing the fuse (which also has the clock and interior lighting). I am getting sick of removing this fuse every time I park the Van.

I can not find any hack job wiring for the radio, other than some added speaker wire in the back.

I discarded the Jensen tape deck that came with the van, and installed my Alpine CD deck (I have installed a dozen or more stereos in my day, so I know what I am doing) I figured the PO had just not wired the stereo correctly. Well the Alpine was fine for over a month, then all of a sudden the battery is completely drained. I can start it with a jump, but the battery does not get enough of a charge to restart the engine.

The battery was new about a year ago, but I have never heard of the manufacturer, and so I have no faith in it, and has probably been totally discharged several times in it's short life. I replaced the battery with a Sears battery I had in my '73 Bug that is in restoration right now. The Van fired right up with the new battery (this battery had been sitting in my garage for 6 months!) The old battery has 660 CCA, and the Sears battery has 540 CCA, but turns the starter with no problems.

Any ideas? I know the radio connection is always hot (Just like my GTI), but why is it draining the battery when the radio has been turned off, and face plate removed?

Thanks in advance.

Andy Yarnell 1987 Vanagon GL Wolfsburg Edition 1992 VW GTi 8v - FOR SALE 1973 Bug Lakewood, CO