Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Jun 2002 15:20:41 -0400
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Cooling system level?
Comments: To: "Randy Charrette Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at
          http://explorer.msn.com" <rcharrette@HOTMAIL.COM>

Hey guys,

First I don't think it's normal (if you have a proper functioning cooling system, very well sealed inner head gasket and/or operating crankcase bleeder) that even at high outside temp the cooling fill tank level move more than 1 or 2 inch at the most in the filling tank. Andrew is right, change the expansion cap and double check the expansion tank if it holds pressure. Another possibility could be that the coolant mixture (50/50) and/or propriety are not well calibrated. If it happens only at high outside temp, I am pretty sure that the coolant should be change for some fresh one. If the coolant as been change, is it of good quality and does it have the proper mixture.

About idling before shutting down the engine. (I really like this subject)

This is a particularity of Turbo engine, I will try to explain myself in a proper English (He he he); At high speed, the turbine (Turbo) main shaft and/or bearing have a tendency to propel most of the oil coming from the little turbo oil line/nipple away from the shaft. So if the engine is shot down without idling for a few second (15/30), when you start back the engine the turbo shaft and bearing are spinning with a limited amount of oil. With time the Turbo life will be reduce by haft. Just so you know, I had a Honda CX500 Turbo and CX650 Turbo, Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo and 2x Kawa GPZ 750 Turbo motorcycle. I blew 3 turbo on the last GPZ engine wile drag racing.

BUT, this principle somewhat apply to all engine parts on atmospheric engine (non turbo) also, the basic rule is to get the oil everywhere at the right place for the next start-up. Never suddenly shut down an engine after high revving this one, especially for those that don't use their Westy often, remember the noisy lifter problem!!!!!! (Not exactly the same principle but still! The lifter decompress after sitting in the driveway for a wile) On the opposite, this is another good reason to let the van idle for a few minute or so at start-up (when cold) even in hot weather so the tick 20W50 oil can slowly and properly make it's way to all critical parts that need lubrication. (ESPECIALY ON OLD ENGINE=lower oil pressure) The worse thing you can do with a Westy is to start the van, raising rpm at the same time and start running the van forward in the first 10/15 seconds. ESPECIALY when your van is not your daily rider.

I fly (rental) C-152, C-172, Warrior and Arrow 2-4 seater planes. If I don't let the engine come to operating temp before raising RPM I will be kick out of this rental place, period. On the contrary, if I let the engine idle for too long I will be kick out of the rental place also.

Cheers, Ben