Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Jun 2002 20:51:55 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Anyone tow a car with their van?

On Monday, June 17, 2002, at 08:48 PM, Christopher Berchin wrote:

> Hi all. > As a person who is always noodling around ideas, I'm currently curious > if > anyone tows a whole car with their Vanagon? Aside from the lack of > power, > how well does a Vanagon tow something like a Miata (i.e. reasonably > light)? > What kind of hitch are you using? Can it handle towing the car and also > being full of cargo? Thanks!

I have a Polaris Ranger, which is a 6x6 ATV...around 1500 pounds in weight. I have towed it upon a 2 wheel (single axle) trailer, up and over a mountain, with my Syncro (w/the original 2.1 liter waterboxer engine). This is an unbraked trailer, so I've been pushing the limit...

Issues. At highway speeds, I'm limited to about 50-55mph. You must also be prepared for much longer distances to slow down, as the additional weight takes a lot more effort to bring it to a halt. I once experienced an oscillation issue (where the trailer wagged the Vanagon). Extremely unpleasant, but I think that was only due to an unbalanced load.

Going up hill (9-10% grades) is...slow. 25 mph at best. Be patient...and watch your coolant temperature as you will be working the engine extremely hard. Going down hill I suggest taking it easy as well and don't try to rush. Take a break and take your time...and be polite to other drivers (i.e pull over if they get behind you.) You'll get there if you are patient.

I'm expecting to do some towing with my new Tiico engine in September.