Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Jun 2002 08:25:43 EDT
From:         Bill Marshall <Willolyn99@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Starter hesitation

<<<<...you should check all the ground wires and make sure they are not corroded. There was also a recall from Volkswagen to add a ground wire (for what years??).>>>

I had this same problem. Crappy ground strap on the driver side of the engine, corroded connections at the front of the tranny. My starter was trying to pull the ground through my exhaust, where it was wired to the frame with a coathanger. (note: a coathanger is a tool of last resort, only used for emergencies) Coathanger got hot and burned me, that's how I figured it out.

I cleaned all the contacts, then decided the ground straps were really crappy looking, so I added a big fat wire straight from the battery to the front of the tranny. It was big, like 4 gauge, the same as you use for the battery terminals. I coated everything with dielectric grease, and cranked that puppy down. The wire was just snaked through the hole in the bottom of the battery tray, over the gas tank, along the frame, beside the coolant hoses. Held up with zip ties. Attached to the battery using the screw for the terminal.

Bill Marshall 85 GL Tiico with no more coathanger