Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Jun 2002 14:01:44 -0700
From:         Rolf Hastrup <rhastrup@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: ES-12 Replacement for R-12 Refrigerant
Comments: cc: roch <roch00@yahoo.com>

--- roch <roch00@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi Rolf, > > Please excuse my ignorance but I have an 84 Westy which had original > freon. I had it recharged awhile back but my friend discovered a leaky > value and said no freon left. I'm confused with the numbers so does > this mean I had 134-R? > > Anyways, can I use this ES-12 as my freon replacement without putting > in new fittings or dryer/receiver, etc? I got the leaky value fixed. > Just wondering if I can buy this stuff and have my friend put in. > Thanks for any advice, Rochelle > Hi roch,

When your friend said no freon left, he must have been refering to R-12, because R-12 is known as freon.

ES-12 is a great freon replacement because it is compatible with the seals, hoses, oil, and everything in the freon system. It is more efficient and performs better than freon (R-12) and is a much better replacement than R-134a, which performs poorly compared to R-12. EPA regulations require that the charging fittings be changed to the R-134a type when converting an automotive freon system. The fittings are readily available and inexpensive (no more than $10 total). Since your freon has already leaked out, you would not need to evacuate to recover any freon, and can symply add the RS-12. To find info and sources for RS-12 search the internet for "Enviro-Safe 12" or "RS-12." As I mentioned, the source I found and purchased from is:

Better Technology Trust, 4535 W Sahara Ave, Suite 106 Las Vegas, Nevada 89102-3733, Ph:800 266-7777 Web address: <httv://www.btt.org>.

Go to their website for more information.

Good luck,