Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Jun 2002 21:08:41 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      83 Syncro Turbo Diesel Project- progress report, long
Comments: To: Audi-VW-Diesels@yahoogroups.com
Comments: cc: Syncro list <syncro@yahoogroups.com>

My project to Syncronize a 1983 diesel Vanagon is finally showing some real progress. I have finished modifying the front suspension mounting areas, moved over the Syncro PS rack crossmember, moved over the PS pipes, moved over the coolant pipes, moved over the Syncro shifter and linkage, mounted the rear gas tank, and built the tranny nose mount adapter. This thing may run yet.

Remaining to do is the fuel tank filler neck and venting, install the newer radiator and fan, and actually bolt in the Syncro drivetrain. Finally, in mid project I decided to go with an 83 Audi 5 cylinder turbo diesel engine that became available and I need to build the engine mounting system for this. I am using a South African 5 cyl Vanagon bellhousing so I am hoping that it will be pretty straightforward. Lots of small details to work out though like the exhaust and intake systems. I hope to someday find a 2.4 liter 5 cyl diesel from a Eurovan but I have had no luck so far and am going forward with the 2.0TD for now.

I went for a 5 cylinder as it will allow me to have power steering and A/C using factory brackets and belts and still keep the rear bed deck at the stock height. The 4 cylinder diesels that have PS and A/C need to mount at an angle that intrudes high above the engine lid. No so good for camping but people do it. Also the 4 cylinder diesels have issues with the starter motor. The stock 50 degree diesel Vanagon mounting position places the starter where it interferes with the Syncro fuel tank and so a special Diesel Syncro tank is needed. Alternatively, a Kennedy adapter plate will let you use the waterboxer starter position but these starters do not have enough power to reliably crank a 23-1 compression ratio diesel engine. Kennedy sells special high torque starters to overcome this but these don't fit on Syncro trannys that have the locking rear diff option as mine does. If anyone has found a workaround for this please let me know. The 5 cylinder starter mounts from the engine side of the flywheel making it no interference problem and easy to access for servicing.

My thanks go to Larry Hamm for leading the way a while back when he Syncronized his 82 Westy and posted the process he went through.

For anyone contemplating a similar project I recommend having the donor Syncro side by side with the transplant recipient. Syncronizing a waterboxer 2WD model would be somewhat less work than what I am doing. I suspect this will become more common as passenger model Syncros rust away and become cheap convenient donors for transplanting into Westy models. I am going slowly on this first one with the expectation of doing a couple more.

Mark Drillock Vanagon crazy man, (I'm told)