Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:39:42 +1000
From:         Stephen Overmyer <s.overmyer@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: Anyone tow a car with their van?

I've towed a '76 Double Cab on a (braked)car trailer approx 450kms with no probs at all. The D/C was on a farm in some hills in kinda backwoods country and the winds that weekend were approaching gale force...just to make it interesting ;)BTW I grabbed the D/C for the best set of gates I'd seen in recent memory.Rest of the truck was pretty rusty but parts of it live on in several other D/Cs including mine in Oz as well as in Tacoma WA and Eugene Or.

The van did fine...towing up hill & down dale even in the winds to get back to the main road. I took it very easy,rarely allowed the van to go above 80Kmh, mainly to make sure I could pull up in time if need be,and kept an eye on the eng.temp but it was fine.Hardly moved off 12 o'clock...

I didn't use 5th very much,but preferred to keep up the revs a little in 4th and around 80kmh,the engine is happy there...the WBX motor is really quite good on torque.Afterall it was designed for use in a commercial vehicle.

Naturally the van used considerably more fuel than normal but was admirably up to the task. As long as you... Take it easy and are not in a hurry... Keep a goodly distance between you and any other vehicle in front... Shift back before you labour the ol' girl... and stay in touch with how the van feels/sounds...

...all should be sweet :)

Hey,I've got 240,000kms on the van now and still have the original clutch,gearbox and engine (sans heads naturally) so I didn't knock her about too much...

Cheers, Steve O Blue Mountains NSW Australia '92 Transporter WBX Kombi '76 Double Cab '68 Beetle '00 Transporter 5Cyl Double Cab (work truck)