Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Jun 2002 22:57:49 -0600
From:         Paul Chubbuck <paul@OPTECS.COM>
Subject:      Fridge madness 201
Comments: cc: huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA

>>3-I did those test in a 48hours period, never heard the fan in the back of the fridge (I was not there all the time and it's still cold up here-65F)

Your cool ambient temperature is the most likely explanation. The heating coils in the back probably just haven't gotten hot enough to flip the thermostat to turn the fan on yet because it's cool outside. That happens for me too at night, but during the daytime, here in New Mexico, where the temperatures are now in the 90's or hotter, the fan runs all the time.

>>if the fan or thermo sensor is dead, what is the consequence associate with that malfunctions. Is there any danger or just a poorer fridge operation?

I think that it could permanently damage the heating/cooling unit to consistently overheat. Also, as you say, the fridge wouldn't cool well on a hot day without the fan.

>>I guest there is no easy way to test the fan (in the back) without removing the fridge.

Right!

>>Should I remove the fridge too see if the fan is working or the hell with that and just camping for the FIRST TIME THIS SEASON!!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I'd wait until a hot day and see if it really doesn't work. However, although it was quite challenging to remove the fridge the first time, now I wouldn't hesitate to take it out again. Pretty easy once you know how.

Good luck. Paul