Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:30:32 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>
Subject:      Re: 87 Vanagon problem
Comments: To: "A. Widoff" <rompu@MHCABLE.COM>

I had a similar problem with my '85 before I put in my new engine. Low oil

pressure caused the lifters to collapse after driving 20 or 30 minutes at highway speeds. It started when I added some CD-2 oil additve to help alleviate the lifter noise I was getting from time to time. I didn't figure it out right away, but after going through the usual checks of the FI system, fuel system, ignition, a simple oil change eliminated the problem. The noise you heard was your lifters giving out. I could just barely get home. It would never stop running, but it had no power. The catalytic converter was red hot. Sounded like hell. The next day, it would run fine. As long as the lifters were happy, the engine was happy. Your engine may be reaching the end of its life. Change to 20-50 oil, a good filter and install a pressure gauge. The 2.1s are more likely to throw a rod than the 1.9s. A gauge will tell you how good the bottom end of your engine is.

Jay

"A. Widoff" <rompu@MHCABLE.COM>@gerry.vanagon.com> on 06/19/2002 11:55:48 AM

Please respond to "A. Widoff" <rompu@MHCABLE.COM>

To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM cc: Subject: 87 Vanagon problem

Hello all.

Iım a Vanagon owner who knows almost nothing about automobiles in general, let alone Vanagons.

The other day I took a 200 mile trip down to New York. It was a hot day and aprox 1 1/2 hours into it the oil buzzer and light went off. This was something that had happened a few times last year but it seemed that my mechanic had solved the problem because it had not happened for many months. Anyway, I pulled over and checked the oil and indeed it was well below the low mark on the dipstick. So I put a quart of 10W30 in (which is all I had

in the car at the time).

Nevertheless the buzzer and light continued to intermittently go off for the rest of the ride.

On the ride back upstate at night things got even stranger. I began to lose power and had to down shift in order to get over even moderate inclines. Eventually this got so bad that I was only able to go around 30 MPH on a moderate incline. It seemed that there was a a low and indistinct clacking

sound and it felt like something was terribly wrong. It seemed that perhaps there was an irregularity in the running of the engine, an occasional tug as if a spark plug were failing to fire (?). Then there was a slight smell of

something burning. We decided to pull over and call AAA. It was 3 AM when

we got dropped off at the nearest service station which was still 30 miles from where we live. We decided to sleep in the van which was pretty comfortable with the bed in back.

In the morning the mechanic checked it out and could find nothing wrong, so

we drove it home. Since then thereıs been nothing observable on local trips.

I got an oil change the other day. I then had a 45 minute drive ahead of me. After around 20 minutes I was on an incline and when I got to the top and began to go down the other side the oil light and buzzer went off for 15-20 seconds. It happened once more the exact same way on the way out there (shorter duration), and then again on the way back (top of an incline). Other than that, it seemed fine. This pattern has borne itself out on other 30 minute or so trips over the last few days.

I feel like I might be doing damage to my vehicle by continuing to drive it, but my mechanic doesnıt see anything wrong with it. Any insights into this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Tony Widoff Hudson NY