Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jun 2002 15:35:13 -0400
From:         Tim Spotted Wolf <spottedwolf@CYBERTOURS.COM>
Subject:      Re: update head repair 84 wasserboxer

Here we go again.. After some thinking I decided to keep my vanagon and try to get her fixed, one more time. You may remember this saga.. or have personal experience in this area.. hehe.. poor us, victims of a bad design

I got my heads back on and put it all together.. It started up but ran terrible... I tweak it and got it to finally idle enough to begin the dreaded bleeding of the snake intestines, LOL..

after following everyone's lead I think I got it to cool down on it's own with lots of air bleed from the system I drove down the road hiding from the cops (she is not inspected yet) I found a good hill to bleed some more out and after a few miles of back road gearing up and down the hills in my area I was sure it was ok.. then as I viewed the rear view mirror a buff of very black smoke blew out of the exhaust.. yikes!! I watched it dissipate and slowly stop, Funny thing is the engine lost a little power but never sputtered and then it took off good again scrambling up the hill all the way home.

It never rose above 190 F !! I got it home and opened up the engine cover only to find oil dripping down from my air cleaner... what a mess.. as I removed my custom air cleaner (non oil bath type) I found it full of oil in it's lower basin. What is causing this I wondered?? The filter was soaked also.. I cleaned it up and looked over everything.. then started it up an looked again.. hmm, no oil in the air filter now... what the ????

Ok here is a thought. The darn oil dip stick it difficult to read but I think it is showing I have to much oil in the crankcase.. This oil in the carb happened on a steep uphill grade.. could the excess oil have been routed into the oil breather pipe and exhausted up into the carb air cleaner?? Any idea's? could it be a broken oil ring?? Please.. I will hear any an all idea's.. Now that I got her to cool down I feel close to enjoying her..

Please help!

Tim .