Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:21:24 -0700
From:         "Loren A. Busch" <lbusch@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Re: Battering Ram vs Ford Escort

I've been through two sessions with the insurance adjuster in the last seven months, one major, the other minor. First was a total on my cherry '85 Westy in November-December 2001, and then a wiped out front bumper and other damage to my new '90 Westy last month (took our a street sign and climbed a center divider to avoid a guy that cut me off).

First, my insurance company, on the total, came up with a number that was to low. I asked to see the comps (comparable sales) that they were using and found that they (actually the appraisal service they subscribe to) were only looking at sales of Vanagon's, and then trying to adjust (add a flat amount) for the camping equipment. I told them no, that won't work. I showed them comps from the local paper and Autotrader online. They agreed to go back and try again. I prepared a bunch more examples for them, but before I could call them, they called me and upped the settlement offer and admitted that I was right. Their offer was actually about $1000 above what I had expected to settle for. I bought the '85 back from them for salvage value ($407) and then re-sold it for $1400. I kept insisting that I wasn't interested in a cash settlement, that I wanted them to find a replacement. I had receipts for EVERYTHING that I had done in the eight years I had owned the '85 and that helped a lot. In my most recent situation, the insurance company gave me a detailed estimate of the repairs, including some parts that really didn't need replacing, that included a letter to the repair shop explaining how to contact the insurance company if there turned out to be any hidden damage that had been missed. Then they gave me a check that should cover things quite well. Even though little body damage on my '90, the total approached $2000. The insurance company, in their own words, are obligated to get the van back to the condition it was in before the accident. If repairs exceed replacement cost, that is a total. AND I WOULD AVOID TAKING A SALVAGE TITLE AT ALL COSTS. Find comp's for sale, use that as your leverage. Pull out all your receipts for parts and work, tires, etc. Try to show them the true replacement value. You can go to an independent appraiser, any you can also talk to local VW dealers and used lots that specialize in VW and Vanagon's. BTW, what did they allow for the broken headlight? You're looking at $300+ a pair for those things. Good luck BTW Who are you insured with? I'm with Progressive and am very happy with the way I have been treated (except for the raise is premiums because the first wreck with my '85 was my fault).