Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jun 2002 16:42:19 -0400
From:         Jim Snyder <vanman@SHENTEL.NET>
Subject:      1982 diesel Vanagon FS in northern Virginia - $2K

Hi Folks

I have listed my Vanagon here before but haven't had anyone really come up with the $$. I am dropping my price to $2000 this time in hopes of finding her a good home. I won't take any less.

I bought the van in California 4 years ago and am the 2nd owner. I now live 30 miles south of Winchester, Virginia. There is no rust anywhere or the beginnings of any seam rust. It is covered and waxed often. There is a small dent above the rear passenger fender flare that was damaged when the previous owner pulled into a parking spot too sharply. I had it estimated for a complete repair for about $300. The rest of the body has a few dings but nothing more than superficial. it is one of the very nicest bodies I have ever seem on a Vanagon.

The engine runs good and starts right up. it smokes for a few seconds when started cold and blows little oil droplets out on the rear door if driven over 65 mph. I never go that fast and usually run under 60 mph. I have considered a bit larger o-ring on the oil dip stick as a remedy but think long term a new set of rings may be in order. You could drive the vehicle for a few years without ever doing anything to the engine as it runs smoothly and gets an average of about 32 mpg. Oil consumption is minimal and changed regularly at 3000 mile intervals. I use Mahle filters.

Details:

Improvements during the last year:

New Ford diesel truck battery w/100 cca, 2 gauge cables and new starter New glow plugs and fuel injectors New fuel lines

Other new parts in the last two years:

Toyo 100,000 mile all season radials Gabriel gas charged shocks New oil filler tube New exhaust New waterpump

129,000 original miles - 4 speed - good clutch and transmission Burnt orange paint with a white top

No radio or seats other than the front buckets that I planned to replace. The brown interior is needing some cleaning but is in good shape overall. I was planning to go with a weekender.There are no hub caps and it is missing one plastic end cap on the rear bumper. There are 4 new Pioneer speakers.

I have 6 cars including 4 VWs and need the room and time to devote to my other vehicles. This would make someone a nice project vehicle or second vehicle. I also have a good '85 red Cabriolet for parts or to restore for anyone interested. $1200 obo. it runs good.

see at: www.user.shentel.net/vanman/vanagon.html

Thanks