Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Jun 2002 19:26:23 -0700
From:         Michael aka ECHO <echosmurf@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Starter for 1981 automatic: questions

Hello, Yeah i went through this when I got my re-built starter through work. Found out there were different ones made. BTW, taht bypass switch I can bet it isn't a bypass switch. Just a 12v boost to help start the van. I have it myself. 1980 Vanagon here. If anything do return that starter and get the right one. Otherwise.. I'll have to crawl under my van and maybe take some pics even to help out if need be. Let me know. Mike aka ECHO --- Steve Selin <sjselin@NETZERO.NET> wrote: > > Hi, > > > > I just bought a starter for my 1981 (automatic) van. The > picture looked > > just like the one I had. BUT it is missing 1 contact. > There are 3 > > contacts on the (old) solenoid (not counting the bolted > contact). There > > are 2 in a pair (red wires), and there is one by itself > (blue wire). The > > new starter is missing this third contact. Anyone know > what's going on? > > > > I am told there were early and late model 1981s and the > starters differ. > > Do I need the late model starter even though the picture > made it look like > > the solenoid and motor are MUCH closer together? > > > > ALSO: When reassembling with new starter, I found 4 wires > in need of a > > (non-bolted) contact, but only 3 contacts! What's up I say? > At one point > > someone wired a switch from the dash to the starter to > bypass a faulty > > key/ignition. This wire was wired to the pair of contacts > on the > > solenoid. Is this now replacing one of the original wires, > hence leaving > > it dangling? > > > > Help, please if you know what's going on! > > > > Thanks, > > Steve > > > > > > _*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_ > > > > > > Steven Selin - s.j.selin@vt.edu > > > > > >

===== MY first VW! 1980 Vanagon L "D'Arius" LOOK a picture!!!http://www.echo207.com/vanagon.html Need any general computer help? Computer blonde? E-mail: echo207@excite.com and I will see what I can do to help. And a DEAD 84 buick Skylark (Going to see if I can jump the California Aqueduct ...) 78 Toyota Corona (POS everytime I fix something..something else breaks!)