Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Jun 2002 23:24:22 -0700
From:         Tobin Copley <tobin.copley@UBC.CA>
Subject:      Wiring/testing of VDO oil pressure gauge (dual sender)

Hi all,

I've installed a VDO oil pressure gauge set-up in my 1982 diesel Westy. It doesn't seem to work and I'm a bit confused. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 0-80 lb VDO gauge and a matching sender. Both bought new. The sender is the dual-terminal variety which allows me to keep the idiot light functional. The sender is installed in place of the stock sender, which in the diesel is at the forward end of the cylinder head. The idiot light wire is attached to the terminal labeled "WK" and the gauge wire is attached to the terminal labeled "G". The sender is torqued in securely, and no teflon tape or anything was used on the threads of the sender.

I am using 14 ga. copper stranded wire for the wire leading from the sender to the gauge. The wire is routed under the bus to the dash, following the main wiring loom. It is securely zap-strapped along its entire length.

The gauge will be installed on top of the instrument cluster. Power for the gauge is supplied from behind fuse 10 on the back of the fuse box, which is hot only when the ignition is on. The gauge is grounded at the ground point supplied on the body of the bus just forward of the fuse box.

With power off, the needle of the gauge rests on the peg at the extreme left of the gauge, just below "0". Which the ignition on and the sender wire attached (but the engine off), the needle rises to exactly "0". With the ignition on and the sender wire removed the needle remains at "0"--the installation instructions I downloaded from VDOs web site indicated that the needle should move to the extreme *right* of the gauge with the sender wire removed.

Firing up the engine (it runs! yay!) the idiot light goes off within a second or so of starting, but the gauge does not move from the "0" position.

This can't be right. What gives? The instructions seemed pretty simple, but have I screwed something up? Do I have a bad sender? Bad gauge? Where do I go from here? I want my gauges to work!

T. ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tobin Copley Bowen Island, BC, Canada 49deg 23'N-123deg 19'W

'82 Westfalia 1.6L NA diesel ("Stinky") '97 son Russell ============= '99 daughter Margaret /_| |_L| |__|:| clatter SPEED KILLS! {. .| clatter! Drive a Vanagon diesel ~-()-==----()-~