Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:44:15 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: URGENT: Stranded in Remote Area with disabled wife -

> Hi all. I have this exact starting problem with my '90 syncro - though not > always when hot. As a result, I always park on hills, or when none are > available, well, I just cross my fingers. Can someone explain a little bit > better what exactly that "hard start" kit does. And how tough it is to > install? For $7.95, I'm definitely going to give it a try.

As it is now, your battery feeds juice to your ignition switch, which then feeds the starter. This is a relatively long distance for the battery line to go, with several connectors along the way. This increases the chances of voltage drop due to poor connections, wiring resistance, etc. The problem is most pronounced in a Bus, where the battery is all the way in the back, so the wiring traverses the length of the bus and back. It is a bit less of a common problem (but still not uncommon) in a Vanagon.

What the relay kit does is allow you to run a direct wire (via the relay) from the battery to the starter. The wire from your ignition switch then simply triggers the relay (which closes and makes a direct connection between battery and starter when you turn the key). By bypassing all of that extraneous wiring, you can sometimes increase the current flow to the starter. This sometimes makes enough of a difference to kick a solenoid that has just a tad too little current reaching it otherwise. In any case, there is no downside to installing the relay, so if it doesn't work, you're only out eight bucks and a little bit of work.

Basic instructions are included, and also are detailed in John Muir's "Idiot Guide" (How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive), although he used a Ford starter solenoid in place of the relay (also works, but the Ford solenoid causes a bit of draw itself, which a relay avoids). Basic understanding of electrical wiring is assumed, however.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by Part # 1-866-BUS-DEPOT