Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:00:58 -0500
From:         Jeremy Speer <jspeer@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Oil leak after clutch job... status report

Folks,

Well... here's the latest.

To recap: I returned from a local shop after having an LUK clutch kit installed. The van drove like NEW... but later that day i noticed engine oil leaking from three places where the tranny mates with the engine.

I returned to the shop and showed them the leak. Without a moment's hesitation they offered to open it up again and see what was leaking.

I picked up the vehicle the second time and after some highway miles the leak returned in the same places.

I went back one more time. They again offered to open it up, and this time pressurize the crankcase with air, add dye to the engine oil, and see exactly where the leak is since they are convinced it cannot be the engine seal that is leaking. This will be done shortly.

However, the shop owner pointed out three plugs on the front of the crankcase, and stopped at the big one right behind the camshaft. He said that if this plug is leaking i'm basically SOL. The only way to repair it is to split the case and replace the plug. The plug is not threaded, it is pressed in when the case halves are assembled.

So, has anybody ever dealt with this before? Is is possible to split the case halves just a fraction of an inch, free the old plug, install a new one then re-torque the case bolts?

Boston Bob, if you're reading this, will this affect my core value if i elect to buy one of your engines?

Thanks,

-jspeer '89 Westy, "Mystery Machine"