Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Jun 2002 22:59:15 +0200
From:         Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT>
Subject:      Re: FW: URGENT: Stranded in Remote Area...
Comments: To: Timothy Crooks <eungkeupsil@COMCAST.NET>

I too had the same exact thing going on with my 1987 Vanagon. I "dealt" with it for a good year though (to cheap and lazy to diagnose it). The thing that was so odd, was that it really was 100% random in occurance. There was no way for me to pin down when it would happen. I could drive 3 hours, stop for gas, and it would not start... or then drive the next 3 hours, stop for gas, and it would start right up (with a few seconds of pause between key turn and cranking though).

That pause, between key turn, and eventual (hopefully, when it would actually start, that is) turning over, was also variable. I thought I had found the "workaround" at one point, by simpy keeping the key turned for like... what seemed to be a few minutes. It would really just sit there, no reaction at all... and then after a long time of the key being held "on" it would turn over.

Other times, I would crawl back and open the engine compartment, and try hitting various things, including the starter. I really impressed my wife when it worked.... although there were many times when I could hit things for 20 minutes and no start would happen.

Somehow though, I always managed to get it started by either waiting, hitting, holding the key on, or whatever.

I got a new starter last year (a rebuilt) and have no more hesitation when I turn the key, and it starts up beautifully every time!

I know that it is not advised... but I have also push started my Vanagon, as well as all other standard cars I have owned, and that too is always an option when starting problems arise due to battery, starter, or whatever.

Crazy stuff.

Robert S. Fish Salzburg, Austria 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2.1 GL Weekender 1987 Golf Cabriolet 1991 Golf

----- Original Message ----- From: "Timothy Crooks" <eungkeupsil@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 5:12 PM Subject: Re: FW: URGENT: Stranded in Remote Area...