Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Jun 2002 22:40:32 -0400
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Noisy fuel pump

Ladies and Gentlemen, On most cars the filter is always after the fuel-pump, why! The pump is inside the tank! It would be a difficult task to change the filter if it was in the tank.

Second, the pump is design so it can absorb some, and I say some small rust or dirt particle without being damage. (not big chunk of rust)

Third, if the pump was after the filter, it would have to cope with constant restriction and fuel pressure variation form the filter. We can debate that subject forever but it look like most car engineer agreed to put the filter after the pump.

In conclusion, I don't agree with that. So what I did is put a second very large restriction-free cleanable fuel filter before the pump (like a big net), this way I can check once in a wile to see if I got some big chunk and if my tank is going away. This filter can be disassembled and clean. (I don't remember the brand) The noisy pump is not necessarily a sign of clogging but a sign of fatigue (that can last for years). Both ways, you're up for a new pump soon, or not so soon.

Buy a spare one and also get a spare fuel pump relay.

Well, I had a great long weekend fist camping trip; the westy is a great camping friend and a good crowd pleaser. 600 trouble free miles later, like always with my van... (With a somewhat noisy fuel pump)

I wish you all a good and very nice summer and plenty of trouble free miles with your van. Meet some new pal, see the world and have a good beer around a fireplace. Is that why we own a westy!

Cheers, Ben http://www3.sympatico.ca/huotx/engine1.htm