Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:04:57 EDT
From:         Bill Marshall <Willolyn99@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tiico: oil in the water (need advice)

First, the not-so-good news, If you read the Tiico warranty, it says that only parts are covered. Tiico sells engines. Period. Peter did pay for some work for me, but that was a particular case. He didn't pay all of it. I found out later that it was personal charity on his part. You can always ask.......

Peter is not an employee of VWSA. He is a broker. Think of him as an import auto parts store, nothing more.

Now, some questions..

Why didn't your mechanic change the oil filter the first time? Wouldn't he be concerned about contamination?

Did he perform any tests on the oil coolers? He should have checked the oil cooler by putting a loop of hose from one port to the other, filling it with water, and run the engine to see if the water in the loop gets contaminated. Easy. On that same note, he could have put a connector between the hoses that go to the oil cooler, bypassing and isolating it from the cooling system, run the engine, and then see if the water gets oily again. Simple ten-minute test. If he has pressure equipment for checking radiators and heater cores, he also could have checked the oil coolers before installing them.

Was there water in the oil?

Did the mechanic check compression in each cylinder? (another quick cheap test) Did the cylinders hold pressure?

Did he do these repairs one at a time to isolate which part was failing?

Of course, an e-mail doesn't give all the facts of what transpired, and I'm no expert, but it sounds like the mechanic got an idea and just ran with it instead of testing stuff. I would ask him the above questions before you start talking price. Too many mechanics just replace stuff without thinking or testing. That is why I am on my third engine block - a mechanic just 'knew' what the problem was, but he wasn't right.

Best of luck.

Bill Marshall 85 GL Tiico (on it's 3rd engine block) Bradenton FL