Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Jun 2002 20:35:25 EDT
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Q: for H&R lowering springs users

In a message dated 6/26/02 3:52:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time, vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM writes:

<< As compared to the H&R's, personally I would not have wanted a stiffer, lower spring such as them, compared to these Boges. >>

Ron,

You really should try to ride in an H & R equipped Vanagon before making this statement. IIRC the springs were designed for busses and not Westies. IMHO they give a softer ride which requires a stiffer gas shock. Keep in mind that these are progressive springs. Soft when you need it and stiff as you push it.

I have the van presently equipped w/ stock Boges as I previously mentioned. It takes less effort to push the van down than when I had the non-progressive stock springs. Translation: the H & R's are softer in the initial windings where you do most of your daily driving. I drove several Carat buses while I was testing this set-up. They definitely are stiffer for daily driving. The main difference is if you push the van hard into a corner. The H & R's hit the tighter windings and will feel substantially stiffer in that situation. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

Again, this is for BUSES. I do not think these things are stiff enough for a Westy. If you will recall Todd (Rubatoguy) had these same springs on his Westy and was dissatisfied. But Robert from NC was very happy with them in his bus.

I offer an unbiased opinion on this matter. I am not selling these springs or other parts for that matter. As a matter of fact I got these springs for FREE. So I say don't knock 'cause you don't sell it. Try it at least once. You might decide to carry them then.

=) BenT <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/bentbtstr8/myhomepage/index.html">Vanagon Cafe</A>

I will try them with different shocks and report back to the list. I'm sure o