Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Jun 2002 20:56:13 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: reducing westy water faucet velocity
Comments: To: emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US

Why not just put one of those tiny water valves in the line like they use on Ice Makers, Aquariums etc.? Should be a $1.00 fix.

Stan Wilder

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 21:50:19 -0400 Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US> writes: > I think I will try this method. I talked to the electronics > instructor at > the school where I work about electrically reducing output. He said > a > solid state voltage regulator would probably be the ticket, and > only a > couple $ in parts. Then I could use a switch to have 2 speeds of > water. But someone else said that running the pump on lower voltage > would > probably do more damage to it than just restricting the hose. Also > hard to > pass up the cheap fix... > > Edward > > At 6/24/02 03:25 PM, you wrote: > > >I did this on my '77 Westy (tightened a hose clamp around the hose > between > >the pump and the faucet), for exactly that reason. By > tightening/loosening > >the clamp to "fine tune" the restiction, I was able to get exactly > the flow > >I wanted. The best benefit was that by reducing water useage, the > tank > >water lasted much longer between refills, which was a big advantage > when > >fresh water was not readily available. I was concerned that this > "fix" > >might cause premature failure of the pump, but if it did, it > happened over a > >year and a half later (as that is when I sold the bus, with the > pump still > >working). I figured that at around $25 for a pump, my worst-case > financial > >risk wasn't huge, and the prospect of a two-minute, ten-cent fix > was too > >tempting to pass up. :-) > > > >- Ron Salmon > > The Bus Depot, Inc. > > (215) 234-VWVW > > www.busdepot.com >