Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Jun 2002 19:01:48 -0700
From:         psavage <psavage@PACIFIC.NET>
Subject:      Phaedra re Phaedra

Yes! I am *very much alive & *very well, thanks. After five (!) months of Westy adventuring south of the border, I am happily back in N CA. As Mike Miller reported, I am indeed trying to mow my (five acre) meadow, now thigh-high, with a pathetically underpowered high-wheeled trimmer.

This winter marked my third round trip to mainland Mexico in my '85 Westy, now officially christened "Mexicali Rose." This trip, several times, I considered renaming her The Briar Rose--but she just never deserved it. In thousands of miles, mechanical troubles were few & not very serious (as it turns out). ***Nut 'n Bolts: A traveler got my speedometer working fine again with a squirt of WD-40 under the dash. And when my radiator fan switch quit, another friend got it running with a pair of spade connectors & a short piece of 14 guage wire (male side of the fan switch was corroded, is all.) Next trouble was a gas leak when O-rings to the T-pipe popped out. Yikes! That was successfully jury-rigged by a Mexican shade tree mechanic who (ingeniously) heated the rubber O-rings on his wife's tortilla pan, reshaped & trimmed them to fit. !Que Milagro! ***My Kirkland Signature Light Truck Tires-- with now over 50,000 miles on them--once again performed flawlessly. Not a single flat tire in all this time. Van handles well, even in a heavy cross wind. I kept tires inflated 50 lbs. rear & 45 lbs. front. (But for those of you who'd prefer spending your hard-earned dinero on tires rather than travel, there *are expensive options.) ***Westy Head Count This winter in Mexico I met *dozens of volks in Westys. One couple, both *well over 70, said they'd been traveling Mexico in a Westy for the past fifteen years. I met Westys from Ontario, Quebec, Montreal, Texas, Vancouver, CA., Oregon, Montana, Maryland, West Virginia, Alaska, & Ohio. All were doing fine & having grand times. All were veteran travelers & none reported serious mechanical troubles. All vans were reported dependable daily drivers--& I think this is the *significant factor. ***The Bad News My van was robbed during broad daylight in San Miguel de Allende, which was unexpected. Thieves stole all my camping gear: down bag, camp stove, Kelty Sunshade, Pensioner's loaner binocs, etc--& even my pooch! A hard hit, but I didn't let it ruin my day. Same thieves tried to steal the van, too, but were unable to start her up--thanks to my secret JC Whipme toggle kill switch! Best $12 I ever spent. !Caramba! But while they were poking around in the wiring, they disturbed something--& since then I've had intermittent but annoying electrical trouble which must soon be addressed. I suspect a short, for occassionally I smell that "electrical" odor. So--once I am settled in here again--I shall be asking for help & suggestions from any remaining list silverbacks-- Seems like there's a big freshman class now, raising a ruckus & banging on hall lockers! Meanwhile, the van's running fine--even with *water in the gas tan--(but that's another story for another time). Hasta luego/Until later, Phaedra '85 Wolfsburg Westy "Mexicali Rose"