Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jun 2002 23:00:18 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Andrew Grebneff caught on VW&Porsche magazine 1991

>Ever wonder what's up with our snail chaser Andrew G. in New Zealand. When I >first read his postings related to outlandish powerplants for his Vanagon >(RVC), my assumption was he was some young whippersnapper. I figured he must >have gotten bitten by the Bus Bug (no pun intended) recently. Well, I was >very wrong.

DAMN. Caught...

>I was in the process of cataloging some old VW & Porsche magazines today and >happen to read the letters to the editor. This was in Volume 22, No 1, >January 1991-February 1991. On page 12 there was a letter that read: > ><<SIX CHANGE >It's good to see that Type 4 engines are finally starting to receive >attention as a bigger, but more expensive alternative to the Type 1 engine. >However, there is another option which I've only seen a couple of times in VW >literature and that is the Veedub's close cousin. the Porsche six. I plan on >doing a 911 engine/trans swap into my 75 bus, which, as standard, is a >twin-carb 1800. The engine alone won't be enough and I want decently high >gearing.

wound up with a 3.6-liter Toytota V8 instead, and the job was so botched that it ruined the van.

>I'm sure there are quite a few "volks" out there who would like to do a 911 >repower on their Buses, so how about doing a tech article? Preferably engine >and trans, with details also on how to fit a 911 engine to the bus trans, for >those who don't want taller gearing. This could be a whole new trend! > >Andrew Grebneff >Dunedin, New Zealand >> > >It's nice to know that the Vanagon List did not infect Andrew with his >outlandish power mad ideas. He was infected all along. I for one know now >that he's been a bus whacko for more than a decade. Careful what you write >out there.

I've been a Bus wacko since 1978 or so, when I got my 57 Panel complete with 36hp engine. That van taught me all about mechanicals and I loved it. Drove it HARD (70-80mph, with split-case trans!... no, the 36hp wouldn't do 80, it topped out at 70) and (once I fitted a single-port 1600) it was really reliable, cost me next to nothing to maintain for 10 years or so.

Dorks. -- Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut