Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jun 2002 08:47:23 -0500
From:         Chris Mills <scmills@TNTECH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: What's the scoop on early vanagons? (Circa 1981)
Comments: To: lamusicamellama@JUNO.COM

>I've been keeping my eyes out for late model Westies, but this evening i >saw a 1981 Westy for sale. Haven't talked yet with the owners. Sign on >van said engine needs work. (I saw oil on pavement below engine.) Asking >$900 obo. Cosmetically, things look very nice, engine, and maybe tranny >need work which at this point I'm unable to say specifics. Question is, >is it worth it to take on a project on an 81 air cooled? Do the air >cooled vanagons have their own special merits, or not? If I could buy it >for 700-800, and drop a couple thousand into a new or rebuilt engine, >would I have a reliable, healthy running Westy? I know nothing about >these air cooled models, but if the van weighs 5000 lbs. as do the later >models, isn't it strange that an air cooled engine could push that >around?

If the body and interior is good (think no rust) then the price is okay. I'd start at $500 and dicker. The aircooled engine is fine. It needs top end attention at about 100K miles but so does the wasserboxer when it blows it's gaskets.

The only difference between one model and another is creature comforts. A 1978 is better than a 1970. A 1990 is better than a 1981. A 1981 is better than a 1978 like mine.

For a few thousand you can buy a Boston Bob or Jake Raby engine and probably have a nice rig long term. You could take it one step further and go with a Porsche 901 or 915 tranny to give you 5 speeds to make the most of the power you have. You could go with a Corvair powerplant like me but understand at that point you are on your own with service. The Corvairs guys can advise you on service and repairs but I doubt any shop would touch it unless they dealt with Corvairs and even that is just a maybe. The Corvair is a good stout engine and parts are easy to get. If you pursue this route be sure to join the Corvair list and Corsa the national club - LOTS of great tech info floating about with those guys.

If you are rich you could go with a Porsche 911 engine.

I mention all of this because I think all of the Westies are a bit anemic for modern highway speeds. I want to travel at the posted speed limit and 52 mph on an interstate hill won't cut it with me.

I would buy it, make the repairs, and keep it stock or at least all aircooled VW until you are sure you really like this beast (we love ours) and can deal with a 20+ year old vehicle when it requires attention.

RUST and COLLISION DAMAGE are the things you have to worry about the most when you buy an old vehicle. Everything else can be dealt with easily enough.

I would seriously consider figuring out a strategy on bringing this puppy back from the grave - safety systems first, cosmetics, then mechanicals.

Good luck.

Chris M. <"Busbodger" of "TEAM SLOWPOKE"> Cookeville, Tennessee

ICQ# 5944649 scm9985@tntech.edu

'78 VW Westfalia (67 HP -> that is...67 Hamster Power) '65 Beetle - Type IV powered '99 CR-V AWD station wagon '81 CB900 Custom moto-chickle 2.5 Corvair engines for my Trans-vair Conversion