Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jun 2002 15:00:45 -0400
From:         Laurence Smith <laurence@ALANASMITH.COM>
Subject:      Re: '87 westy oxygen sensor problems.
Comments: To: rodney.woten@LENNOXIND.COM

It is likely that with the trauma of the O2 wires being ripped off that the green coaxial O2 wire that goes into the main harness is damaged.

If this wire is shorted then the running rich symptoms will show up. The green O2 wire is thin coax and therefore has an outer sheath that is the ground and and inner core that carries the signal.

These green O2 wires sometimes short out with age. You're drammatic aging of the O2 wire system may be the reason you are running rich now. To fix it you'll need to run a new O2 green wire back to the ECU (this is not that easy). The replacement green O2 wire can be bought separately since VW knows about the shorting problem and has them on hand.

Laurence Smith Hamilton, ON 90 Westy (fanumbos)