Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jun 2002 15:01:50 -0400
From:         Clarence J Falarski <lamont@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Fixed window drop

Thank you all for the great info, it all helped but it was a problem that I unknowingly created myself and only have myself to blame for the dropped window problem....

A couple of weeks ago I was in the market for a set of vent shades for my Westy. I found a set on one of our web sites. This set was the kind that just slip inside of the window track and are made of some hi tech plastic, I forget what the hell you call it............ I was used to very thin metal ones that use tiny screws that screw into the window frame.........

When I installed these plastic vent shades their thickness narrowed the window channel and the window motor now had to force the window to go all the way to the top. The window channel was now to narrow. I did try and widen the channel with a screw driver so their would be no strain on the motor and succeeded somewhat but the window still had to be forced to the top because with the new thickness added to the window channel by installing the vent guards.

After taking the door apart and removing the motor and complete window assembly I noticed the little piece that splices the cables together behind the regulator and pushes the neoprene window holding assembly up had jumped right thru the channel that it is supposed to be in to raise the window. Evidently by the narrowing of the window channel with the installation of the new plastic vent shades I had caused too much resistance and this little cable splice was forced right thru the neoprene channel that was meant to push against in order to raise the window...........

I have now thrown away the plastic vent shades, $ 49.95 and an afternoon shot to hell, but is was a good lesson. I still however would still like to find some of those very thin metal ones thar screw into the metal window frame....... Thanks for the list. 1990 multi, regards to all. clarence