Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jun 2002 15:44:35 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diesel Power (now: long drive security)
Comments: To: DStewart@CHRM.COM

Like I said earlier, be adventurous!! ------------------------------------ Roughly 170,000 miles in seven years is enough adventure for me. I'll admit most have been trouble free but a fair number of miles have been at temperatures over 100 degrees (f). Its 95 here in Texas now and I'll be getting a little more testy clean through the end of September. My Westy has never left me stranded, never required parts to get home. I'm glad we got the Ladies involved .......... they have a more practical view than most men. I have to put that little (f) behind the degrees because Canadians think Texas is Hell. It is sometimes ... shush! Thanks Donna

Stan Wilder

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:50:05 -0700 Donna Stewart <DStewart@CHRM.COM> writes: > Three years ago I attended the VW Classic Weekend. Went down a day > early to Victorville to do my Route 66 driving and was, for a > change, in my New Beetle. Driving the interstate back from Barstow > traffic was clogged. I cursed and wondered what idiot what holding > up traffic; it was a gorgeous pre-67 bus. My dad regularly cursed > VWs in the 60s; now he has 4-5 at any one time. Like I said > earlier, be adventurous!! > > >>> Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM> 06/26/02 07:46PM >>> > Bravo Debra! > The Volkswagen (Peoples Car) has a lot of limitations. > I've sold about five 80-83 Westfalia that I've resurrected from the > near > dead ............... I've never sold one to a Texan and I've never > sold > one to a person that hadn't at least owned a VW van of some type. > Truly these things are a sickness. > The good thing is that there aren't enough of them to clog our > highways. > Can you envision the San Diego Freeway if every vehicle was a VW Bus > or > Vanagon? > One lane of traffic and three lanes of shoulder. > > > Stan > > On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 19:21:02 -0700 Debra Clark <clark10006@COX.NET> > writes: > > I have to agree with Stan on his assessment of the Vanagon for > long > > drives. > > At least for my purposes. I came to that conclusion while > 'lurking' > > before > > my purchase. I envy those who have taken their Westy on long > trips > > to out > > of the way places but I've read the horror stories of break downs > > with parts > > availability being nil. Luckily, being in San Diego County, > there > > are > > camp-sites from the mountains to the oceans within 50 miles. I > love > > my > > Vanagon. We've gone camping in it, picnic-ing, tail-gating, > hauled > > a dryer > > and a loveseat (at the same time!) with it and picked up a > storage > > unit from > > Home Depot that we never could have hauled with our other cars. > My > > dogs > > love it and my kids love it and my husband likes driving it > because > > the > > seats and driving position are comfortable for him. (He's had 3 > > back > > surgeries) We're looking forward to taking in a drive-in this > > summer (give > > me some tips for the best positioning) and as soon as the beach > > heats up a > > bit, it will be the beach mobile. But it's not my daily driver > and > > I would > > be constantly on edge if I took it far from home. It's just not > > worth it to > > me. There is so much this car can do for me that our other cars > can > > not > > that I don't feel badly saying that there are a few things I'd > > rather not do > > in it. > > > > Debra Clark > > Santee, California > > 90 Multivan > > clark10006@cox.net > > > > ________________________________________________________________ > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! > Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! > Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/. >