Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Jun 2002 20:40:38 EDT
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: specific features of 86 GL Wolfsburg
Comments: To: emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US

In a message dated 6/27/02 6:11:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time, emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US writes:

> > I am trying to prove to my insurance company that my van is not a basic > vanagon so they don't total it. They say that according to the VIN, it is > a basic 7 passenger van. It came to me as what I call a "weekender." Pop > top, but no stove and sink. It has the Wolfsburg badges at the front, and > the GL after the Vanagon on the rear hatch. I read in the archives on > this, and found some info. One person said that in 86 the Wolfsburg is > what I call the weekender, with the pop top and single side cabinet in the > back. Also supporting that theory is the Supplemental owners manual I got > with the van saying it is a "Camper Wolfsburg Edition." Anybody seen an 86 > Wolfsburg that was not a pop top "weekender" type of van? > > The other question is about the GL designation. Was there another version > of the van in 86? Some references in the archives indicated the GL got > cloth seats vs. vinyl, and carpet instead of rubber floor mats, and > upholstered door panels. Mine has all that stuff, but how can I document > that those things came on the GL. Anybody got some sales literature from > the period? > > The adjuster is trying to claim that someone just took the badges off > another van and put them on mine. I think the Supplemental manual helps me > prove that what I have is a Wolfsburg. I can take pictures showing that > the van matches the manual. Would like to have something similar to prove > it is a GL. > > Edward >

you have a '86 westy weekender, wolfsburg edition. some were wolfsburgs, some werent. these were also known as Non-GL campers. why yours has a "GL" on the hatch, i dont know.. do you have a tachometer or a analog clock? All the '85-'86 westy weekenders have the tan corduroy interior, tan carpet, with single fixed jumpseat w/ storage box underneath, behind the driver, tan plastic sidepanels w/ flip out table on the drivers side, and full width westy sofabed , and cabinet in the left rear w/ big and small door in the face, as well as overhead rear cabinet, and poptop. you dont have swival seats, but instead have a 12v outlet under the inner pass seat pedestal, to which a portable electric Dometic fridge was plugged into. the fridges are usually missing. I just parted one of these westy weekenders out, also a '86. they were made from '85-'87. the '87's had either blue or tan tweed, the blue being extremely rare. Its impossible that the VIN comes up as a "passenger van" as all westys have special numeric designation in the VIN denoting them as being partially assembled at Hannover then shipped to Weidenbruck for completion at the Westfalia-werke factory.

what happened to your van that would deem it totalled? chris