Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Jun 2002 00:00:53 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Rostra All-Electronic Cruise Control
Comments: To: echomhs@GIS.NET

Gentlemen and Ladies too,

In my search for the Rostra Ultracruise II Cruise Control, I first went to USI Wholesale Distributing, 3746 Comer Ave., Riverside, CA 92507. Their phone number used to be 1-800-854-4798. The email is/was usimail@earthlink.net the last time I contacted them. I asked for a list of places that carried the unit (got a list of about 10) then called and price-shopped. When the smoke cleared, I got the unit from Auto Air and More in Las Vegas. Their address:

Auto Air & More ( Parts & Service) Las Vegas, NV

4295 W. Tropicana Ave. Las Vegas, NV 89103 Toll Free: (888) 658-3423 Voice: (702) 362-2722 Fax: (702) 362-9694 info@autoairandmore.com

The web page for the unit that I got (Universal kit - PACC002) is:

http://www.autoairandmore.com/aam/products/parts_and_accessories/aampabbdetail

.asp?Brand=Rostra&Submit=Select&PartCode=PACC002

Just checked it and it works! How's that for memory recall on the part of a fossilized elder?

Can't help you on the price I paid. I think I lost a set of those particular neurons during my recent heart operation (mini-roto-rooter - no sabre saw!). I'm sure that I paid more than $100, less than $200 and close to 35% off the prevailing retail. You can connect to the Hall sender at the back of the speedo (need the Hall pickup from a Golf/Jetta instrument cluster). But it needs to be amplified. I used an ignition amp from a SAAB 900T. You can also use their magnet drive kit. Still other options with some imagination.

I wired up things to the Vanagon cruise control turn signal switch. Looks clean.

Of course, at the same time, I got the MFA switches from a Jetta GLi and the multifunction analyzer (MFA) from the Jetta instrument cluster (includes clock, mpg meter, oil temp, etc.) and modified the Vanagon clock unit to take the MFA. Jetta/GTi switch gear (cruise control and MFA) stalks fit just fine.

Frank Grunthaner