Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Jun 2002 04:05:14 -0700
From:         David Wilhite <dnmwilhite@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Axle Nut is nuts

I'm working on replacing the clutch, pressure plate, wheel cylinders, rear brakes, CV joints, just about a 'rear end' overhaul. I just need to replace the wheel bearings to complete my 'overhaul' and then re-install everything. To top it all off, I've got to finish before Tuesday. I have the Peachtree road race to run on the 4th and then I'm leaving out for Panama City. Talk about timing. I don't know why I can't start these projects when I'm not under timing constraints, but it always ends up that way. I'd put this part of the job off, except that I'm pretty sure the driver's side needs replacing.

So.... In the process of 'attempting' to replace the axle bearings on the rear wheels, I've come up against a major stumbling block. The axle nut is huge and I don't have a wrench or socket large enough for it. I tried using an adjustable wrench, but I can't use it because it's too tight and the wrench slips, on the verge of screwing up the nut. Anybody have an idea of what size it is? It measures 43.44 mm with calipers, so does that make it a 43 mm or a 44 mm nut? One last thing, where do I get a wremch or socket of that size?

I appreciate any advice, assistance or moral support.

Thanks