Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Jun 2002 08:30:16 -0500
From:         Rodney Woten <rodney.woten@LENNOXIND.COM>
Subject:      Re: '87 westy oxygen sensor problems.

I think the problems are probably a too lean-not enough fuel-mix. Part of the reason I feel this way is because it runs rich anyway, as long as the sensor is unplugged. In this condition it actually runs like a champ...just a little rich, which will eventually burn out the caty. If it runs okay (no hesitation) when it's rich, it has to be too lean when it's hesitating. I have a theory about the length of the wiring when using one of these splice-in sensors that I plan to test it out this weekend. I will definitely also check out the plugs, though. Thanks!!!!

---------- From: PC :sdelasal@peoplepc.com[SMTP:PC :sdelasal@peoplepc.com] Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2002 5:45 PM To: Woten, Rodney Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: '87 westy oxygen sensor problems.

Leaks are generally bad news if they are between the engine and the catalyst. But it depends on where the exaust leak is.

If the leak is on the catalyst side of the oxygen sensor and some distance from the sensor then it probably does not matter.

If its on the engine side of the oxygen sensor then you got problems. The reason being that the sensor responds to oxygen in the exhaust. If you have a leak, it measures 'high oxygen concentration'. The engine control module sees this and says 'ah ha ...too much oxygen, I need to add more fuel' - result is the engine runs too rich. You can confirm this by looking at the colour of the spark plugs and they'll be dark brown/black.

I think it'd have to be pretty rich to show the behaviour you describe though - those symptoms can also be caused by insufficient fuel. It'd be worth checking the colour of your spark plugs. They should be a pinkish colour. If they are white it's running too lean i.e. insufficient fuel.

steve