Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:39:37 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Radiator Design
Comments: To: Tim Hannink <tjhannink@EARTHLINK.NET>

Well, there must be coolant passing through the radiator at idle, or you're fan would never come on when you are stuck sitting in traffic. The fact that the radiator temp goes up enough at idle to kick on the fan tells me hot coolant is being moved through the radiator. The radiator is not capable of producing heat. I always thought it would be nice to have a temp gauge reading off of the radiator in addition to the stock gauge that reads at the engine. A fast-idle before shutdown would be more efficient and simply driving a few miles off of the interstate would accomplish this. Pulling of the interstate into a rest area for gas might call for an idle before shutdown. Can't hurt. If indeed the radiator is a double core, cross-flow design as Ed McLean says, it must fill from the bottom, to the left, back across to the right and then down at the right side. The right hand (passenger's side) must be a double vertical tank, providing the supply to the left and the outlet when it returns to the right?

Jay

Tim Hannink <tjhannink@EARTHLINK.NET>@gerry.vanagon.com> on 06/28/2002 01:25:24 PM

Please respond to Tim Hannink <tjhannink@EARTHLINK.NET>

To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM cc: Subject: Re: Radiator Design

Coolant flows through the engine anytime it is running, it might not be passing through the radiator at idle, but through the bypass hoses and heater cores. It's my understanding that idling the motor after long runs prevents hot spots from developing in the coolant passages in the heads and boiling the coolant at that point.

Good luck,