Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:29:42 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Aux Oil Cooler install...results Aircooled vanagon
Comments: To: FrankGRUN@AOL.COM

OK Frank now that we've got you on the soap box, I've got a few statements and then questions about this RX7 cooler I've been raving about. #1) Are you using the 148 degree (f) thermostat that comes in it.? #2) The little plunger pushes the thermostat to position one cooling at 148 degrees (I boiled mine and it works) and directs oil through stage one in the cooler, the other oil surplus bypasses, True? #3) The RX7 Engine generates a full 60 psi at rpms over 2000 so it pushed the thermostat plunger to position two and actuates stage two of the cooler (but the spring causes the plunger to vacillate on my Westy that just puts out 48 Psi at 2400 rpms) giving me needle bump on the gauge. Normal ? #4) Stans going full bore now at 70 mph, 3300 rpms and ginning out 60+ psi and the third stage and full capacity of the cooler is active, True? #5) Does the cooler still bypass some oil when the temperature is +160 degrees (f) and the oil pressure is up in the 60 Psi range ? The reason I ask these questions is that removed the thermostat and I tried a bolt between the inlet and outlet chamber and didn't get any better results than with the thermostat. I can only assume that the bypass ports were still open. Since this wasn't a junk cooler I didn't jury rig any slip in tubes or plugging devices to seal them off. Got a way to make it full bore cooling all the time? Its 98 here in Dallas and I know it won't hurt to have 100% capacity useable soon.

Stan

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 11:24:59 EDT Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM> writes: > Adam, > > Good numbers! My results on the inline 4 with diesel pan and sound > shield are > very similar ... 35 to 50 F. I have also found reductions in > cylinder head > temperatures, but I can't recall the numbers. I put it in the > archives at the > time. Yes (for the nonbelievers) cylinder head temperatures follow > oil > temperatures even in water-cooled engines (just not so large a > delta). > > I also agree that the oil cooler is one of the best lifetime and > reliability > mods that can be made to these vehicles - even more important for > the air > cooled culture! > > BTW, I am using the RX7 cooler now, but am switching to the Audi > 5000T oil > cooler(s) for the turbocharged Audi. I have also mounted the oil > cooler (RX7) > above the trans with muffin tin fan cooling. But for the Audi > install, I'm > going to mount the Audi coolers with puller fan underneath the right > rear > battery area. Opening to access air from the side vent. > > Frank Grunthaner >