Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:19:21 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Aux Oil Cooler install..Humidity
Comments: To: vgonman@msn.com

Every body that has had a comment on this and the theories can be applied in various scenarios. I'm from Texas and I know when its humid because my under shorts are stuck to my butt. Its twice as bad in Houston and Corpus Christi and the whole Gulf Coast area and for sure most of Louisiana. Then there is Yada, Yada, Yada and it makes very little difference on engine temperature unless it is actually water. I use a hang on air unit on my Westy (http://williamwareagency.com/forsale/stanvan/ac_unit.htm) an ugly and not very practical thing and the tray below the Evaporator uses the condensed humidity (water) to aid in cooling down the condenser or flip / plop and it collects enough moisture from the air that I get totally soaked by 40 degree (f) water every time I take the thing off. I just don't see that at 65/70 mph you're going to be in a constant measured humidity pocket for any extended time unless its raining. When I get my Air Cooled Westy up to running temperatures the gauge needles are cemented in place for hundreds of miles unless I stop for fuel or mother natures call.

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:23:10 -0400 Vanagon man <vgonman@MSN.COM> writes: > This sounds a lot like an engineering argument....The engineer will > tell you > something doesnot or could not possibly work, where as the shade > tree > mechanic will show you that it does................ > > I live in a humid hot area, and when i go in my van to an area that > is not > as humid and the temps and altitude are basically the same, my oil > temps are > lower.......... > > Theory may say otherwise, but anyone that has actually seen their > gauges > react differently under similar load and same oil the only > difference being > humidity............ Rain cools the case.humidity does not. > > Adam P > 81 Westy "The Brick " > 70 Single Cab "Whitey" > 74 Beetle "Ol Yeller" > 73 Transporter (STILL at paint shop) > 1988 Vanagon Wolfsburg > 75 Campmobile "for sale' > Used Vanagon Parts for sale (mostly aircooled) > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Bill N" <freeholder@STARBAND.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 2:42 PM > Subject: Re: Aux Oil Cooler install...results Aircooled vanagon > > > > Under most conditions the opposite will be true. Air with a lot > of water > vapor in it is a bit > > more dense, increasing its ability to transfer heat. This effect > will be > minimal on engine > > cooling, however, with temp being the important consideration. > Temp is > important both because > > obviously hotter air won't cool as much and because hotter air is > less > dense, and less dense > > air also won't cool as much. On the other hand, more water vapor > (or > actual water) will have a > > BIG effect on performance, as Stan has pointed out. Remember the > old 50s > song "Mabelline"? > > "Rain was a pourin' up under my hood... I knew that was doin' my > motor > good." Now, let's all > > sing together. "Mabeline, why can't cha be true?" > > > > Bill > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: "Vanagon man" <vgonman@msn.com> > > > > > > > > I thought that when water is added to air, it changes its > properties, > and > > > thus cooling capacities.what i thought (from some long ago > fluid > dynamics > > > class) is that when water is in air and it is forced thru our > air cooled > > > engines, it will not collect and move the heat from our engines > as well > as > > > dry air................... > > >