Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Jun 2002 01:47:30 +0100
From:         Clive Smith <clive.harman-smith@NTLWORLD.COM>
Subject:      Re: Humid Air - More  Comments and a bit of theory
Comments: To: Keith Hughes <keithahughes@QWEST.NET>

I thought that enthalpy would come into it somewhere - honest I did...

... but what we need are some graphs of the total heat transfer capacity of a radiator matrix, at a given International Standard Atmosphere, for a range of humidities to establish whether the curves increase or decrease. Let's assome a dry surface too for now, with no water droplets around, nor thin films. Any takers?

... no doubt this was all done many years ago by the aeronautical boys, I suspect in the 30's (maybe by Rolls Royce having problems cooling their massive 'R' engines for the Schneider trophy races, even resorting to condensation surface cooling, a nightmarish engineering undertaking that ultimately failed) or certainly in the early 40's, maybe during development of the North American Mustang's underslung radiator system - the first to actually achieve a 'net thrust gain' from an aero-engine cooling system - making the Merlin engined P51 developed at Rolls Royce Hucknall the most fuel efficient, if not quite the fastest piston engined fighter ever made.

A little research shows that its all down to a few Non-Dimensional Numbers, Nusselt No., Reynolds No. and Prandtl No., certainly up to M 0.2, something most vanagons would have trouble achieving. Velocity dependency is roughly linear, implying that as we speed up, the problem is exacerbated. Power required to overcome wind drag goes up as the square of speed, yet the amount of heat that can be dissipated does not, requiring a radiator system that is oversized for cruising speeds, although not for very low speeds or idling without fan assistance. Hill climbing just adds a little more complexity, again mitigating towards a larger or better radiator system.

These effects can be observed, particularly when the cooling system or engine is not in good shape. When does overheating tend to occur? Idling in traffic and at high speed or medium speed, high load hill climbing. At nominal speeds, say 50-60 mph on a flat road, everything is matched quite well. Maintain high speeds for long enough, and I've seen oil temperatures (even on cars equipped with oil coolers) and sometimes coolant temps rise to dangerous levels. Idle for long periods in traffic with anything wrong with the cooling and again.

The best technique for economy is also the best technique for keeping heat out of the coolant e.g. trying to get home with an overheating engine: Drive nominally at cruising speeds where the engine is at peak torque (minimum specific consumption) in top gear, using a light throttle, e.g. usually 50 - 60, but not too slow. Accelerate and run down hills faster, DO NOT hold back and go on the overrun, but gradually reduce power as the road starts to climb going down the gears earlier rather than later, arriving at the top of the incline with a speed below your level road crusing speed. This is known as constant energy driving, and where a series of hills are encountered involves a continual exchange of potential energy for kinetic energy and vice versa. With a heavy, but low drag vehicle, the downslope speed can be quite high for optimum efficiency, all that k.e. being slowly converted to p.e. during the climb. With a draggy vanagon the speed differences between trough and peak will be much less, but the idea is worth knowing, in fact its intuitive and just plain common sense, backed up by a little theory.

I have done this sometimes for 50 or more miles, noticing the same guy in a fully loaded car overtaking me going up hills, whilst I've overtaken them again down the next, time and time again. Guess who's using more fuel and putting more heat into their cooling system? Not me. He was what are euphemistically called 'Rover' drivers over here :-), abusing their power privelege as well as their wallets, and sticking to the 70mph speed limit up hill and down dale.

Of course I wouldn't dare mention the DANGEROUS practice of turning the engine off going down long hills, but sometimes needs must..., not for fuel economy, but when a head gasket's gone. No, guv, never done it... brake servo wouldn't be working, but Europhiles are used to heavy brake pedals (the Beetle, the Morris 1000, both abs. without feel, unless pushing a block of concrete is 'feel') and I don't believe any VW vanagon (Transporter) types have power racks here either, they're considered quite light on the steering as standard, compared to many early FWD cars.

Clive Smith '89 2.1 DJ engined Syncro Transporter panelvan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith Hughes" <keithahughes@QWEST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2002 5:58 PM Subject: Re: Humid Air - Some Comments