Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Jun 2002 12:33:29 -0400
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Advice on an Oil-pump oily gasket slow leak

Hi guys,

Well, I am leaving for my very well needed / awaited summer vacation in 5 days!!! So I was double checking everything on the van this morning (after last weekend long trip = 600miles) and I found out that I have a slow, very slow leak / humidity (not really a leak, no oil puddle, maybe one small drip hanging over there) under the back of the engine that seam to come from the oil pump gasket, I am sure of that! (not from the rear seal crankshaft for sure). As my engine is always dry!! (All gasket and O-ring have been change on this engine last winter except the oil pump gasket) I was surprise of seeing that small leak. But I have to say that it always been oily/humid around the pump. Maybe I am being just paranoid.

2 Questions:

1)-What are your thoughts about that gasket failing fast? (I personally think that it cannot really fail faster or leak more than it is now) Still there is a lot of pressure there!

2)- I don't see any easy way of tightening the oil pump cover 4-screws or changing the gasket without removing the rear engine mounts and rear protective muffler plate or maybe more. There is also no possibility for me to do the job by myself on the road as all my engine mounts screws are stuck there in rust.

If you have a faster way of changing the gasket/ tightening the 4-screw without removing all the rear engine mounts assembly I would like to know!!!! I don't see any easy way out. I can see that if I remove the muffler protective plate I maybe will have access to the pump cover/gasket. Do you think so?

I would like to know if anyone had and oily oil pump gasket for some time so I can be more secure about leaving that small leak for my upcoming trip.

Any advise guys?

Regards, Ben http://www.vwvans.com/ http://www3.sympatico.ca/huotx/engine1.htm

ps.: Good Canada day or good fourth of july!!!!!