Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Jun 2002 01:00:10 -0700
From:         John Dagastino <themisanthropicmeanie@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: FRIGGIN INSANE ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! (lots of exclamation
              points RULE)
Comments: To: Chris Mills <scmills@TNTECH.EDU>

the world has a way of putting the dumbest people in the most important positions..

that is to say, people who have _no idea_ WTF they are doing and just make S__T up all day long.

and i thought everyone knew that insurance companies are where the crookedest of the crooked go.

(most of them, anyway, the rest become politicians,/// and lawyers of course....and more go work in upper management positions in large corporations)

insurance people = automotive vampires.

eh... so i'm a cynic. :)

http://www.fuckedcompany.com/ Official Lubricant of the "New" Economy.

(warning, obvious one, but that link right up there could be considered to be pretty offensive....

*cool*...)

--- Chris Mills <scmills@TNTECH.EDU> wrote: > I had this '84 CR-X that I bought in 1995 for $150 > (yes - less than $200). > It had 115K miles on it and no interior behind the > driver. > > It was a beater I left sitting on the pier while I > was in the Navy. It was > nice b/c I did not have to worry about it. > > One night I was awoken on the ship by the fellow on > duty who said the SP's > were on deck and somebody had broken into my car "or > something". Then I > remembered the fancy Type IV engine with 911 cooling > I had sitting in the > back under a blanket. @%^&#@*@(! > > Went running out there to find the engine fine but > collision damage to the > rear of the car. Seems there was a van near it that > was rockin' (as in > don't come knockin') and the SP on patrol got > distracted and hit my car. He > was so scared that I would be pissed. I laughed my > head off and told him > all was okay, no hard feelings. (While we talked the > van got busy again...). > > I told him to file a report (I was a former SP so I > knew the routine) and I > would just get the Navy to fix it. > > Remember - purchase price was $150. I went around > town per Navy > instructions to get estimates. They ranged from $750 > to $1750. I heard that > these panels would have to be replaced and I heard > the frame was bent. > These were folks that crawled under the car and put > it on an inspection rack. > > The Navy paid me $1250 I think. I spent the day > looking at the car and > noticed that the bumper was popped loose from it's > bracket - 30 second fix, > a trim panel needed some hammer persuasion, and the > tail light needed > replacement for $20. > > An hour plus travel time and I fixed it... > > Insurance repairs are weird... > > > > > > That is an exact description of the van as I > bought it. Including the > > > missing fridge. Mine has clock and not tach. > Here's a link to photos of > > > the damage. Estimates came in about $2000-2500. > Insurance is claiming a > > > value of $1200-1475. I have discussed this > previously on the list in the > > > thread: "Battering Ram vs. Ford Escort" > > > > > > Tim Hannink asked the question that tweaked my > brain into realizing > > > something here: Aha! That is the key! There > are no chrome window > > > moldings, except on the rear hatch, where the GL > badge is. The rear hatch > > > was replaced by a PO. So it is probably not a > GL, just the hatch came from > > > a GL. > > > > > > Edward > > > > > > > http://buncombe.main.nc.us/~emaglott/pp010/index.htm > > > > > > >i saw the pics...is that the extent of the damage?? > that's it?????and theyre > >totalling it for that???? INSANE!!!!! thats > like a hour in your driveway > >with a block of wood and a hammer and maybe a pry > bar..to straighten it all > >out YOURSELF.. that is NOTHING! $2500 > estimate??? what the f**k???? > >that is friggin INSANE. and they say your westy > weekender is only worth > >$1200? what ripoff ins co do you have?? this > aint right.. you need to > >fight this.... > >good luck man, youll need it > >chris > > Ciao! > > Chris Mills > Cookeville, Tennessee > ICQ# 5944649

===== "Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy. " - H. L. Mencken "Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world." -Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden More Quotation fun @ http://nerddom.8m.com/quotes.html