Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Jul 2002 11:08:15 +1000
From:         Andrew Jack <andrewxp@AJ.DNSALIAS.NET>
Subject:      Periodic running vs Inhibiting (WAS: Re: Vanagon Storage in Bay
              Area???) [Long]
Comments: To: DOINKS99@AOL.COM

Tyler,

I am ambivalent as to the merits of a periodic start up and run (I suppose 15 minutes or so) once a month versus "pickling" (sp?) the engine. I am sure there are a few list members that can weigh in on this.

Running the engine, but not under load, can result in combustion byproducts entering and remaining in the oil (corrosive) and may do little to reduce corrosion in the cylinders. In aircraft circles it is generally regarded as a bad thing. (recommended procedure is to go and fly it for an hour at least once a month).

Another train of thought has the in cylinder corrosion actually being a good thing, giving you a poor man's hone and polish on start up after extended storage... I think the jury may be still out on this one.

My Van ('92 Syncro) was sitting for six months before going to the mechanic (he was doing an engine swap in my partner's Subaru and didn't want two of my vehicles filling up his workshop). When the time came, a quick check of fluids, etc and a fresh battery - fired up first time, bit of noise from a collapsed lifter until it pumped up, then all was fine. Of course I am not too worried about this engine, as it has the dreaded Vanagon leaking head syndrome (at 70,000 miles) but more worrying (and the decider for an engine swap) it has a bad oil leak on the crankcase seam. All went well for the 70 mile drive to the mechanic, with the exception of the temperature gauge not working - frequent stops and a lot of sniffing and checking coolant level to make sure all was ok on the way.

As an aside, I have (not intentionally) left my airplane sitting without being run for over nine months at a time. Not recommended, but airplane went though annual just fine, with good compressions. Anyway, a few months ago an errant tiger moth collected my pride and joy (it taxiied into my parked airplane), and as a prop strike was involved, a bulk strip of the engine is in order. It will be interesting to see if any effects of extensive downtime are evident. And yes, the tiger moth's insurance is footing the bill ($5k or so for bulk strip, same again for new prop, and a couple thousand for minor body work - prices converted to $US at rough exchange rate AUD2=USD1).

Andrew

Tyler Trotman wrote: > I'm flying to Panama City, Panama on July 8th to pick up my westy which has > been living there for over a year. My trip will take me through Central > America up to San Francisco by the beginning of August. I would like to leave > the van there for a year and return next summer to drive up to Alaska. Anyone > have any suggestions as to where I can store a van for a year and have it > turned on every once in a while? > > Tyler