Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Jul 2002 15:23:03 -0400
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: AT speeds/rpm's
Comments: To: Andrew Fox <afox@CNR.COLOSTATE.EDU>

Well Andrew, i do agree on that 75mph speed, but that's a State rule, some states are slow like hell and some are faster.

Last year, between San Francisco and!!! Sacramento, I left the freeway because I could not cope with traffic, minimum speed was about 75 and every lane had a different speed, not necessarily the left lane!!!!!!!!!!! That is the main problem!!!

On the subject of "freeway" speed driving in the USA or Western Canada!!

Here is how I see American and Western Canadian driving/driver, ho well everybody except Californian, Floridian, and Quebec drivers.

Most American drive very fast near City on between 2 close cities, on normal freeway and secondary road driving they drive like a turtle. That also good for western Canadian. My feeling is that you are afraid of highway patrol cops, and you have a lot of them!! (USA)I feel that in the states it's OK to drive faster on highway and not on smaller roads or secondary freeway/road, well that quite logic! But I feel that the difference between the 2 (freeway/small road) is very big. Last year I had to follow (with the westy) a convoy of car including; Ford Mustang and other big V8 car!! and big American SUV and pickup (At least you are proud enough to buy American made car and truck, and that I approve and admire at 100%!!!!!!!) on an smaller road at 40/45mph for 3 hours, as I was not able to pass them with my VW flat-4 beast. I find that ironic that American Car Company produce big bore V8/V10 cylinder car and truck and customer don't use the power they pay for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, It must have something to do with car culture!!!!!

Maybe it is not "politically correct" to drive faster on a smaller road!! (Don't worry, I do understand the difference between a school zone or a town speed limit and an open space secondary road, I am not stupid.

Last year I saw 1 Police in my entire crossing of Canada and he was eating donut!!! Not much in the US also, maybe 10 in a 3200 miles stretch from SF to Montreal. 6 years ago, I crossed Canada on my Kawasaki ZX11 (1100CC) warp speed machine at an average speed of 160/170kmh (105mph) (this bike would maintain 120mph for 8 hours a day, top speed of 180mph) without seeing one cop! Crossing time; 3 days 1/2!

The main thing is that the right lane should be for slower vehicle and the left lane for faster one or passing in every country, unfortunately, most driver don't obey to those rule. Believe me when I say that on the German autobahn you need to follow those rules...

If you ever come to Quebec be prepare to see crazy and fast driver, we simply don't really care about highway cops, speed limit as the average traffic is well over 75mph so they are having a hard time coping with everybody going at that speed. If it OK or not, I am not the one to judge. In my book, a careful, well trained and well equip driver should be aloud driving at high speed on the left lane. Me, I don't care, especially on my bike, I still have the nerve at 36 to get away when I see those red and blue flashing light, I still hit the pedal and off i go at 175mph. Well, I need something to compensate with the slow speed of the westy.

By the way, I owe speed ticket/infraction on 4 different states; Maine, NH, NY, and another one I don't remember. So I drive carefully on those states now. If they catch me am up for the big fine!!!!! (I think they keep Canadian unpaid infraction for 10 years)

So yes the westy is a bit slow for today standard, and for sure that sucks. But this van made me discover the road again, now I take the time to look and appreciate the landscape that surround me when I drive, I don't do that on my Honda CBX 900. You know what, I don't really care about driving at 60. I like it in many ways. It's safe and relaxing, many thing to see and I really don't care about people passing me or honking at me. I simply don't really see them as am enjoying the scenery with good music and nice company. (Quite lonely on a bike at 120mph for 3000miles)

Well, that was my Wednesday dinnertime subject.

Cheers, and have a nice Fourth of July. (and drive safely, he he he ;-) Ben http://pages.infinit.net/eurokit/