Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Jul 2002 16:03:54 -0400
From:         Timothy Crooks <eungkeupsil@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Buyers Check List?
Comments: To: Reid Anderson <cruisermantis@HOME.OFF-ROAD.COM>

I cannot think of everything, but based on my years with my own Vanagon, plus the rest of the list, we can come up with a comprehensive list. After all, we must have at least a half million years experience combined!!!

Here goes my contribution

____ Coolant leaks, especially at heads, beneath engine and at water pump

____ Lifter noise not present when running, or after running.

____ Rust free at seams

____ Check all hoses that carry coolant, bend the small hoses, check for cracks.

____ Exhaust system intact, muffler free of leaks, rust, no leaks at all gasket sites.

____ Muffler mounting bracket intact, muffler straps intact.

____ Check tyres for signs of steering suspension wear.

____ Valve covers free of oil leaks

____ (Auto trans) Transmission free of leaks. Fluid is at proper level, red in colour, no "burnt smell" of fluid. Check carefully between the to transmission and final drive. The final drive is full of gear oil and the two chambers should never communicate fluid. Check for fluid leaks at torque converter.

____ Run a "CarFax" to be sure the Vanagon has never been a salvage.

____ Check Fuel lines, especially in engine box. The fuel line comes through the fire wall, to a pressure regulator, then bifurcates to the fuel rails. They are subject to breakdown and pose a risk to fire (been there, done that).

Of course there is more, I just thought back over the past 12 years I had my Vanagon, and recalled the "times it could no longer move under its own power."

Tim 1990 Vanagon GL Barnegat, New Jersey, where we drive on parkways and park on driveways!!!! (except on weekends, we park on parkways then too)