Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Jul 2002 16:29:01 -0400
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: AT speeds/rpm's

Well. Frank you are right and maybe wrong. Second, your written English is so nice, beautiful and clean that I am having a hard time translating it!!! (he he he)

But if I understand the basic of it, Everything you said, I agree! But I hope our VW flat-4 is not included in that category!!! It's a 1950 basic design!!!! And a push rod engine, that is partially why it as some torque! And it doesn't like high RPM!!!!! As oppose to inline conversion (like ticco or Subaru) that are missing torque. But yes, modern 4-inline engine are comfortable at high revolution, they basically don't like low rev as opposed too V6 or V8 low rev high torque engine. They produce "power" (and not necessarily torque) at high RPM. They can sustain high rev forever.

The more you bring the camshaft close to the head the more you have power and the more you have high RPM, of course by doing that you are loosing torque.

Most 16V Double overhead camshaft can sustain higher and higher RPM and produce they peak power at 5000 to 7000 RPM. A good example is the most powerful "Displacement vs Power" engine (standard production) in the world, the 2000cc Honda S2000. 2.0 litre, 16-valve, DOHC VTEC 240 horsepower at 9000rpm. 153lb.-ft at 7500 rpm. http://english.honda.ca/models/s2000.asp

I had the chance of driving this car a few week ago and believe it goes like a rocket, but!!!! Nothing under 6000RPM, when I say nothing it's nothing.

The torque is absent on this car, power = revolution.

That why the heavy weight of the westy doesn't like small inline 4 cylinder car engine, it need some torque to gets going, especially at full stop.

Be careful when you choose a conversion engine for the westy, think "torque" first. The high RPM will not cope for the missing torque, especially on hill.

A good logical for a Westy (not engine/space wise) would be the small V6 Grand Vitara Suzuki engine, V6, 24-valve, quad cam, 162 lb-pi at 4 000 rpm, 2,494 cc. That would give a smooth ride; it is a very light V6 with very low fuel consumption in its class ,the toque would more than sufficient.

Well, that was "Engine Talk"

Ben