Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Jul 2002 11:22:45 -0400
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: How is coolant getting to exhaust???
Comments: To: Craig Oda <craigoda@COMMUNITYBUILDERS.INFO>

>>there is no coolant in the head itself right?<<

Well sorry to say but yes there is Craig! Just over the exhaust port you have a hose, this is coolant!!! You should know that as you did the head, each head as an inlet one side and an outlet the opposite side. Check my drawing at http://pages.infinit.net/engine/cooling_system_flow.htm , it is for the 2.1L but the 1.9 as the same head hole for the coolant, they simply goes to a different location. The head is full of coolant, this is why it's a water-cooled. The head by itself generate more heat than the cylinder portion of the engine. The triangular 2-holes shapes between the 2 cylinders on the mating surface of the head are inlet hole for the coolant (close to the 2 inside stud bolt)!!!!

Do you have any coolant under the valve cover? (You can start the engine without the valve cover and see if coolant is going in and out, there is only minimum oil lost) What is the torque use for the main head bolt? (Torque should be 50nm (37 ft lb) for the 2.1L, this was the revised torque in 86 but the Bentley doesn't mention anything else lower for the 1.9L)

If you don't see any external crack they could be one internal between the exhaust port and the coolant circulation chamber. This could have happen when you remove the head the first time, the crack was almost ready to open and by the time you de-torque / unscrew (sorry for my English) you enlarge the crack. There is also coolant in the bolt section of the head in a westy, that is why we have to "coat" the stud bolt.

If you look at the second picture on my site : http://pages.infinit.net/engine/head.htm You will see that the stud are always soaking in coolant in the cylinder portion of the engine.

My suggestions are the following:

Re-torque if needed, if it doesn't work. Remove head and have the head check by a very qualified head rebuilt guys / company equip to do an air leak suction test. (sorry again for my English, it would now be important that I use the right words!!!)

Another way of doing a self-test: Find a friend with a compressor, make some kind of adaptor with a small hose that will fit into the 8 stud hole, force air into those hole by blocking the other side of the hole. If you have a crack big enough to cause your trouble you should hear a "hissss" sound. I know, this sound a bit difficult but it is feasible. But remember that you could not hear anything when the head is cold as aluminium expend when hot!!!!!!!!!! Well this was just a suggestion as I think you are in need of some!

If the leak is internal, there is nothing to be done! This can have been cause when you played /displace the head.

If you decide to buy another head, BUY THE SAME BRAND, PERIOD... or change both

Well I fell sorry for all your trouble and I sincerely hope that you will find an easy solution. You don't have much too loose by slightly over-torque (ing!!! Damn my English) the studs!!!

Well, good luck Craig, Ben