Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Jul 2002 13:33:57 -0500
From:         Dylan Spurgin <vanagon@MAIL.SPURGIN.NET>
Subject:      Re: BS Insurance Co sharks!!!! Re: specific features of 86 GL
              Wolfsburg
Comments: To: Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>

Have you made it clear that you have every intention of changing ins companies if they don't handle this to your satisfaction?

Call around and get quotes on how much ins would cost through other companies. If you do a little research into them loosing your business maybe they'll pay a bit more attention.

best wishes ds

At 12:59 PM 7/4/2002 -0400, you wrote: >Here's the latest update on my Vanagon Insurance fiasco. I tried one more >time talking to nasty adjuster, got nowhere. She told me that if I wanted >to challenge the valuation of the van I could get an independent appraisal, >and then if necessary the ins co would get an appraisal and if they can't >agree, they would call in an umpire, whose decision would be final. I >would have to pay for part of the cost of this process. I told her about >the 4th digit in the VIN being an X meant that it was a kombi and not a >passenger van as she had said before. She then said that the comps they >got were kombis, which is the opposite of what she said before. She also >said that one of the "experts" she had talked to had told her that the >Wolfsburg Edition did not come out until 1987. I told her that I had the >owners manual for the "1986 vanagon camper "wolfsburg edition"" that showed >all the equipment on my van. She said something like, "that doesn't prove >anything, that could have come from anywhere." > >So then I decided to call my agent. That was a good idea. They were very >nice and said they would see what they could do. And thanked me for >calling them. Saying that all too often someone has a bad experience and >they never hear about it until it is too late to do anything about it. The >next day, they called back and told me that the agent was detained out of >town, and would not be able to call me that day. That was nice. The next >day the agent called back and got some more info from me and said he would >talk to the adjuster. I told him I wanted $2000 and no salvage title. The >next day he called me back and said he had talked to her. He repeated her >comment about there being no wolfsburg edition in 1986. I told him that >wasn't true, that I had the manual that matched the vehicle, and that it >was not just the badges on the outside, it was things like the whole pop-up >roof that made it a wolfsburg. He acted like he actually believed >me! Imagine that... He said he told her that I had been with them for 12 >years, never had a claim, had my homeowners with them too, etc. He said >she was concerned that I be treated right then. I told her those same >things and she just blew me off. > >So here is the offer that the agent got out of the adjuster. I can get >$2000 w/ the salvage title. Or if I can find a shop that will repair it >for less than $1800, I can get that amount minus my $100 deductible, and no >salvage title. They have set the value at $2400 and can't go over 70% of >that to repair it. The estimate they are using is for $1834. I could >probably get that down to $1800 by providing them with a replacement turn >signal light or something that I might have laying around. So then I would >get $1600 and something, and no salvage title. That is my choice at this >point. I am leaning toward taking the $2000 and salvage title. I don't >intend to sell it anytime soon, and can use the extra money to fix some >more stuff on it. Getting the value higher at this point won't really help >me much because of the low estimate. The other estimates I got were all >around $2300-$2500. > >Any comments? FYI, this is Nationwide Insurance. YMMV, could be just one >bad adjuster. > >Edward

Dylan Spurgin 81 Westy - Elly the Electric Elephant http://www.spurgin.net/westy1.htm