Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jul 2002 19:30:30 -0400
From:         Christopher Berchin <ctb1@PEOPLEPC.COM>
Subject:      Thrust/Accel curves of 2.1 WBX v. Subaru 2.2

Hi all. Using the info previous supplied by Warren Chapman at his website (http://www.pbase.com/warren8/subaru_vanagon_conversionhttp://www.pbase.com/ warren8/subaru_vanagon_conversion), I plotted the thrust curves of the WBX v. 2.2 Subaru. These curves were plotted for a standard 4-speed gearbox, 205/65-15 tires, and 3500lb vehicle weight. What you will see is the acceleration (in g's) in each gear throughout the rev range, based on the torque curves of each engine. Any gearing change, tire size change, horsepower change, weight, etc., will affect this.

What I found particularly interesting is how this graphically shows the extra range you get with an engine that pulls more than 5300 rpm. Note how you can be in 3rd gear at anything up to 80 mph in the Subie, aiding in climbing those hills. Also, for around-town punch, note the huge difference in acceleration right after the WBX shifts to 2nd gear - the Subaru is accelerating at 0.7g, while the WBX drops to about 0.31g at the same speed.

The graphs can be found at

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4291653823

Enjoy. Please don't flame me, btw. I'm just doing some hopefully interesting analysis. If anyone wants the spreadsheet (written by a friend of mine - I always give him credit since I didn't write the software, I just use it) to input your own dyno curves and gear ratios, let me know and I can mail it out to you. I've used it to consider gear changes on some of my cars, analyze the effects of weight on accel, etc.

Chris