Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Jul 2002 10:12:01 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      Big Lots things for your Vanagon

I was at the Big Lots store the other day and saw some things to use in the Vanagon for cheap. I bought a 12v Fluorescent 8 watt trouble light for $5. It is one of those round stick type lights inside a clear plastic tube. There is a shiny metal reflector along the bulb on one side. My idea is to use those springy brackets that are used to hold things like brooms and mops to mount the light. The light will clip into 2 of these brackets mounted somewhere toward the rear of the cabin. Rotating the light will adjust where the light falls due to the metal reflector in it. I am thinking of also putting another set of the clips over the sink area so that it could also be mounted there. Maybe another set of clips somewhere else? I will leave the hook on the end of the light, so that it can be used portably in other places. It will need to have a switch added to turn it on and off, and some way to manage the cord so it isn't hanging all over the place. Perhaps some kind of reel thing like in a vacuum cleaner cord. It is pretty bright, box says it is equal to a 40 w incandescent bulb. The light quality is not real pretty though. Typical bluish green cheap fluorescent. Perhaps a filter could be added to enhance the color? If I get this thing set up I will post some photos.

the other thing I saw of note was a 1 amp battery charger for $7. I already have such a thing for my aux battery, so didn't get one. I'm sure it doesn't adjust its voltage, so couldn't be left plugged in indefinitely. Mine is the brick type transformer on the plug. This one was a separate box, with AC in plug on one side and 12v out wire on other side. Looked like it could be easily mounted out of the way in your van.

Big lots products seem to vary by store and region, so you may not find these things in your store. www.biglots.com has more info.

Edward (not affiliated w/ biglots, just like bargain vanagon improvements...)