Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Jul 2002 09:51:00 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: valve clatter
Comments: To: Dart 330 <dart330@HOTMAIL.COM>

This valve clatter business is mostly harmless, and is most typically the result of not having the right combination of oil filter and oil weight/grade. The 20/50 WT oils are recommended for most climates, except perhaps in winter in regions where it gets really cold, but it's good for summer climes most anywhere. The second thing is the filter. There is an internal valve in the Mann/Mahle filters that has a pressure releif spring set strong enough to retain the oil in the engines oil galleries when the engine is shut down. Other filters seem to be inadequate in that respect and the oil leaks out, the pressure drops, and the lifters lose their oil. When you next start the engine, the lifters clatter because the lifter-to-rocker clearance is no longer within specs until the lifter is pumped back up with oil. Takes anywhere from just a few minute up to one-half hour sometimes to pump back up and close the lifter-to-rocker space back to spec for a running engine.

Virtually all WBX's will go through this inf they have sat a few days without running. But not to worry un-necessarily.

BTW, I find that my 88GL's WBX is sensitive to oil and filter changes. If I neglect changing oil on time, it gets grumpy and starts to clatter. The longer I wait, the more frequent the clatter on start-up.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

John Rodgers 88 GL