Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Jul 2002 10:19:35 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Reduced oil temperatures.. what's the max?
Comments: To: David Marshall <vanagon@volkswagen.org>

My experience has been similar. In my 1.8l I4, the oil temps rise in response to increased hwy speed. "Normally" at 100 km/h and at 20 C ambient, the oil temp reads 110C. Push the speed up to 70 and the oil goes to 120. Drive up steep hill, van loaded, in 3rd gear, oil temps will hit 125.

Two other things affect this temp. First, and most dramatic, is the effect of the sheet metal and foam rubber sound abatement shroud that is slung under the stock diesel. Having this on raises oil temp 5-7 C over above readings. I conclude from that that there is some oil cooling going on via the aluminium diesel oil pan.

Second is that I have found that the coolant thermostat does have an effect on the oil temps even at hwy speeds. I am running an 88 C Tstat right now. When I switch to summer 82-83 C unit the oil temps will be roughly 5 C lower than listed in the top paragraph.

Alistair -- '82 Westy -> diesel converted to gas in '94 albell@uvic.ca http://homepage.mac.com/alistairbell/home/